Victories by Zack Bilderback in the 400 meters and Casey Wicker in the pole vault highlighted the performance of the Texas men’s track and field team Saturday at the Jim Click Shootout.
Bilderback’s personal-best time of 46.41 seconds earned the freshman his second win of the outdoor season.
Wicker claimed his first-career outdoor victory in the pole vault with a clearance of 16-9 1/4 (5.11m).
The fifth-ranked Longhorns sent only 17 athletes to the one-day meet at the University of Arizona, which featured three other ranked teams. The host Wildcats were No. 21 in last week’s U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Division I National Team Computer Rankings.
No. 20 Kansas State, No. 24 Ohio State, Stanford and Iowa rounded out the six-team field.
The Buckeyes captured the team title with 172 points. Iowa was second with 141 and Kansas State third (85). Texas posted 49 points to finish sixth.
With a busy upcoming meet schedule, the Longhorns kept nearly the entire distance crew, as well as All-Americans Hayden Baillio, Ryan Crouser, Johannes Hock and Keiron Stewart, back in Austin.
“The meet had its highs and lows, but the guys we are counting on for the Big 12 Championship and beyond are improving,” head coach Bubba Thornton said.
One All-American who did make the trip was Isaac Murphy, though he did not compete in his signature event, the decathlon.
Murphy, who was third in the decathlon at last week’s Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, participated in four events, including the 110-meter hurdles where he had a personal-best time of 14.39 to finish seventh.
Murphy also ran the third leg of the 4x400-meter relay which finished fourth in a season-best 3:12.23.
Josh Brudnick ran the opening leg on that relay and also finished fourth in the 400-meter hurdles in a personal-best 52.40.
Will Spence was unable to post a legal toss in the shot put, but rebounded nicely in the discus. He finished second with a mark of 183-6 (55.94m), his second-best toss of the season.
Blake Jakobsson was fourth in the discus with a mark of 179-10 (54.81m). Clint Harris had a personal-best 178-1 (54.29m) to earn a fifth-place finish.
Victor Glaze II was tied for fourth in the high jump with a clearance of 6-9 (2.06m).
Kevin Rayes was the lone distance runner to make the trip. He finished eighth in the 800m in a time of 1:53.64.
The Horns will be home the next two Saturdays for the Texas Invitational (April 13) and Longhorn Invitational (April 20).
TEAM STANDINGS – JIM CLICK SHOOTOUT
1. Ohio State, 172
2. Iowa, 141
3. Kansas State, 85
4. Arizona, 69
5. Stanford, 60
6. Texas, 49
TEXAS RESULTS – JIM CLICK SHOOTOUT
Tucson Ariz. • Roy P. Drachman Stadium
Saturday, April 6
• 100 Meters: 7. Emerson Sanders, 10:82; 10. Basil Fares, 10.92
• 200 Meters: 8. Jake Wohlford, 21.74
• 400 Meters: 1. Zack Bilderback, 46.41
• 800 Meters: 8. Kevin Rayes, 1:53.64
• 110-Meter Hurdles: 6. Jake Wohlford, 14.33; 7. Isaac Murphy, 14.39
• 400-Meter Hurdles: 4. Josh Brudnick, 52.40; 11. Zachary Wieland, 56.32
• 4x100-Meter Relay: -- Texas A (Fares, Bilderback, Murphy, Sanders)
• 4x400-Meter Relay: 4. Texas A (Brudnick, Bilderback, Murphy, Wieland), 3:12.23
• High Jump: t-4. Victor Glaze II, 6-9 (2.06m); 9. Jordan Larkins, 6-5 (1.96m)
• Pole Vault: 1. Casey Wicker 16-9 1/4 (5.11m) - 10; -- Hayden Clark, NH
• Long Jump: 9. Emerson Sanders, 22-5 (6.83m); t-12. Jarard Bruner, 21-10.25 (6.66m); t-12. Jake Wohlford, 21-10.25 (6.66m)
• Shot Put: -- Will Spence, Foul
• Discus: 2. Will Spence, 183-6 (55.94m); 4. Blake Jakobsson, 179-10 (54.81m); 5. Clint Harris, 178-1 (54.29m); 13. Isaac Murphy 141-3 (43.06m)
• Hammer: 8. Clint Harris, 172-2 (52.49m); 9. Blake Jakobsson, 169-3 (51.59m)
• Javelin: 8. John Trucilla, 180-1 (54.88m); 11. Jake Wohlford, 154-2 (46.98m)